Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This light and tastey dessert is great for summer potlucks and picnics.
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups finely chopped bananas
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 -3 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Grease and flour 9 or 10-inch tube pan, or 3 9-inch layer cake pans.
- Set aside.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon into a large bowl.
- Add bananas, nuts, oil, eggs, vanilla, and pineapple, stirring by hand (do not use electric mixer).
- Pour batter into prepared tube pan and bake for 70 minutes, or layer pans for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wrack.
- While cake is cooling, mix cream cheese and butter until combined.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, alternating with milk, until desired consistency is reached.
- Frost on cooled cake.
I made this recipe on 10/11/10 for the " October Is Dessert Month "event in the Cooking Photos Forum. The recipe was made exactly as it was written except for the pineapple, I didn't have any canned, so I mashed up the same amount of fresh and it worked just fine.As it was baking, the smell was just fantastic. And the time it took for it to cool off enough to frost was pure torture :).There was a bit of trouble with the frosting part of the recipe, it was a little bit on the runny side. So, I think if I make this again I'm cutting back a bit on the margarine. But other than the frosting, the taste of the cake was just what a Hummingbird Cake should be. Thank you so much for posting and, " Keep Smiling :)
Absolutley wonderful - super moist! Sometimes you get tired of the same old thing, but this cake made me happy. It was gone fast. I had a problem with getting it out of the pans - I did butter and flour them, but it was stubborn. Despite that difficulty, the taste was not altered in any way! I am planning to make another one this week. Thanks a lot!
This turned out great and everybody enjoyed it at our 4th get together. I'm not much of a baker, but cake was moist, delicious and easy. Thanks!