Recipe by Bev
This is Southern Living's most requested recipe.
Top Review by Mellowpuff
Excellent recipe! In case anyone is interested, I made this with half apple sauce and half oil. I think if you like the heavy oily texture like a carrot cake, then stick with the oil. Surprisingly though, most tasters much preferred the lighter texture of applesauce. so there you go (^o^) thanks for posting bev!
- 709.77 ml all-purpose flour
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml salt
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 236.59 ml vegetable oil
- 7.39 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 236.59 ml chopped pecans
- 473.18 ml chopped bananas
- 118.29 ml chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml margarine, softened
- 453.59 g package powdered sugar, sifted
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs, and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- (Do not beat) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.
- Store in refridgerator.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed, with an elelctric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Yield: 3 cups.