Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is Southern Living's most requested recipe.
Make and share this Hummingbird Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs, and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- (Do not beat) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.
- Store in refridgerator.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed, with an elelctric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Yield: 3 cups.
Excellent recipe! In case anyone is interested, I made this with half apple sauce and half oil. I think if you like the heavy oily texture like a carrot cake, then stick with the oil. Surprisingly though, most tasters much preferred the lighter texture of applesauce. so there you go (^o^) thanks for posting bev!
AMAZING! i halved the recipe to make 12 big cupcakes...halved the oil and used coconut replacing it with a 1/2 cup chopped banana & an additional 1tsp pumpkin pie spice. Frosting, i made with 1/2 the butter, and added lemon zest powder...TRUELY DIVINE, my husband cant get enough, and i saved some for me un iced so i can have them for breakfast...YUM, thank you forever!
For many years, my husband and I had a slice of this cake with our coffee on Christmas morning. We would watch our children with their new found treasures, drink coffee and have "coffee cake" (we preferred it without any icing)It is the best!!