Recipe by Bev
This is Southern Living's most requested recipe.
Top Review by Mellowpuff
Excellent recipe! In case anyone is interested, I made this with half apple sauce and half oil. I think if you like the heavy oily texture like a carrot cake, then stick with the oil. Surprisingly though, most tasters much preferred the lighter texture of applesauce. so there you go (^o^) thanks for posting bev!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 cups chopped bananas
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl; add eggs, and oil, stirring until dry ingredients are moistened.
- (Do not beat) Stir in vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup pecans, and bananas.
- Pour batter into 3 greased and floured 9" round cakepans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25-30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove from pans, and cool completely on wire racks.
- Spread Cream Cheese Frosting between layers and on top and sides of cake; sprinkle 1/2 cup chopped pecans on top.
- Store in refridgerator.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheese and butter at medium speed, with an elelctric mixer until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Yield: 3 cups.