Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I love this cake. Adapted from the recipe of the "cake mix doctor" this is a heavy, flavorful, tasty cake. Great way to use us a few leftover bananas! Enjoy...
- 1 package yellow cake mix with pudding (2 layer size)
- 1 (8 ounce) cancrushed pineapple with juice (undrained)
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (2-3 medium sized)
- 1 jar maraschino cherry, halves drained
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup chopped pecans, toasted and divided
Cream Cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened at room temp
- 3 3⁄4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- (If you havent toasted the pecans, now is the perfect time to do it while the oven is preheating. Just spread them in a single layer on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 5-6 minutes or until you can smell them toasting.) Grease and flour a 12 cup bundt pan.
- Mix on low speed for 1 minute the cake mix, pineapple and juice, bananas, water, oil, eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Stop mixer and scrape down, then mix at medium speed for 2 minutes more.
- Stir in by hand the cherries and 1/2 cup nuts.
- Batter will be thick and fruit well blended.
- Pour into bundt pan.
- Bake on middle rack for 50-60 minutes.
- Cake will be golden and spring back when touched.
- Cool in pan for 20 minutes then invert and cool completely.
- Make the cream cheese frosting.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter on low 30 seconds.
- Add the sugar, slowly still at low speed until well blended.
- Add vanilla, increase to medium and beat 1 minute.
- Frost cooled cake and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup pecans.
- Store in the refrigerator up to one week.
- Can be frozen up to 6 months.
- Thaw overnite in the refrigerator before serving.
I made this cake this afternoon and just wanted to tell you that this cake is a winner, the texture is great, moist and tasty and really looked good. Thanks for posting the recipe. June in Dallas
I was amazed how easy it was, considering you just dump everything into a bowl. Turned out great, I think the cherries really added a good taste and texture to the cake. Hehe, I told everybody who asked if I had hummingbirds in it, that the red, mushy looking things were their brains. Kinda morbid, but so was the question. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing there is a difference between pineapple in it's own juice and syrup. I'm sure using "in it's own juice" pineapple makes a difference, but it is hard to find. Lots of praise for this cake, great recipe, thanks so much.
Oh MY God!!!! this is so good!!!! I don`t like banana bread or cake but I made this I`m hooked! I didn`t put in the cherries! The recipe called for package yellow cake mix with pudding (2 layer size) I used yellow cake mix but it didn`t have pudding so I added a box of instant pudding! Worked out GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! Laurie I loved it and you for posting it Thanks! I have to add it to my cook book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!