Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is from the Annette Sym collection of low fat recipes.
Make and share this Hummingbird Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (from a jar)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup drained canned crushed pineapple with juice, reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- cooking spray
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced fat margarine
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced.
- Drain pineapple keeping juice for icing.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using electric beater.
- Stir bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) and add to bowl.
- Mix in mashed banana, walnuts, drained pineapple and mixed spice, blend ingredients together well.
- Gently fold flour into mixture in one go, DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the cake tough.
- Pour mixture into a round cake tin (19cm) that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 35- 40 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre.
- Allow cake to sit for 5 minutes in tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cake has cooled, place all icing ingredients into a small mixing bowl, blend together until smooth.
- Spread over top of cake.
- In humid weather it is best to keep this cake refrigerated.
Thanks for a cake without 2 cups sugar and 1.5 cups oil. Delicious and no guilt!!
This tastes great and is very moist. Since I wasn't using the icing (too much sugar), I left the walnuts in large pieces and spread them on bottom of pan and poured batter over them. When cake was inverted, the walnuts were on top and made it look fancy. Served with a dollop of sugar-free nonfat vanilla yogurt.
Fantastic recipe, and I bake a lot of lowfat stuff!! Tasted a lovely lowfat Hummingbird cake at a healthy cafe, where they had called it Sparrow Cake (!), and I wanted to duplicate it at home. Well, this recipe did it. Thanks! :)