1/1 Photo of Hummingbird Cake
1 hr 10 mins
This is from the Annette Sym collection of low fat recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce (from a jar)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3/4 cup drained canned crushed pineapple with juice, reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- cooking spray
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced.
- 2Drain pineapple keeping juice for icing.
- 3In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using electric beater.
- 4Stir bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) and add to bowl.
- 5Mix in mashed banana, walnuts, drained pineapple and mixed spice, blend ingredients together well.
- 6Gently fold flour into mixture in one go, DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the cake tough.
- 7Pour mixture into a round cake tin (19cm) that has been coated with cooking spray.
- 8Bake 35- 40 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre.
- 9Allow cake to sit for 5 minutes in tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- 10Once cake has cooled, place all icing ingredients into a small mixing bowl, blend together until smooth.
- 11Spread over top of cake.
- 12In humid weather it is best to keep this cake refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hummingbird Cake
Serving Size: 1 (1027 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 221.8
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 467.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 23.2 g
- Protein 3.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: