This is from the Annette Sym collection of low fat recipes.
Make and share this Hummingbird Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce (from a jar)
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3⁄4 cup drained canned crushed pineapple with juice, reserve juice
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- cooking spray
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon reserved pineapple juice
- 2 teaspoons reduced fat margarine
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan forced.
- Drain pineapple keeping juice for icing.
- In a large mixing bowl beat egg whites and sugar for 1 minute using electric beater.
- Stir bicarb soda into apple sauce (it will froth) and add to bowl.
- Mix in mashed banana, walnuts, drained pineapple and mixed spice, blend ingredients together well.
- Gently fold flour into mixture in one go, DO NOT BEAT, as this will make the cake tough.
- Pour mixture into a round cake tin (19cm) that has been coated with cooking spray.
- Bake 35- 40 minutes or until firm to touch in the centre.
- Allow cake to sit for 5 minutes in tin before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
- Once cake has cooled, place all icing ingredients into a small mixing bowl, blend together until smooth.
- Spread over top of cake.
- In humid weather it is best to keep this cake refrigerated.