Recipe by Dib's
This recipe is posted by request. Looks darn good though!
Top Review by Charishma_Ramchandani
This is a GREAT cake. I made it today for my cousins and aunts back home in India(my dad's gonna carry it there for them tonight). I had to offer some to the unexpected guests who toppled over, they LOVED IT. Said, they felt like humming after eating it. I omitted the cream cheese, powdered sugar and butter that form a part of the icing in this recipe. Instead, I used all the ingredients mentioned under "For cake" and in addition to that, I used 1 mango(made its puree in the blender) and an additional tsp. of vanilla essence in the cake mixture. I also omitted the pineapples as I didnt have the tin unfortunately. Instead, I added a tsp. of pineapple essence to my cake mixture ingredients. It was a great cake. Loved it. Thanks a tonne!
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups chopped, ripe bananas
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar
- milk (if needed)
- 1⁄2 cup pureed mango
Directions See How It's Made
- To make the cake-----------------------.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs and the oil, stirring well until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Do not beat.
- Stir in the vanilla, crushed pineapple and bananas.
- Spoon the batter into 3 well-greased and floured 8-inch cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350* oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cakes are cooked-check with a toothpick, if it comes out clean, they are done.
- Cool in pand for 10 minutes before turning out on to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the frosting----------------------.
- Beat together the butter, cream cheese and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in the powdered sugar, adding a little milk if necessary.
- Divide into two bowls and whip in puree to one of the bowls.
- Use the mango frosting to spread between the layers of cake.
- When the cake is assembled, spread the frosting in the second bowl over the top and side of the cake.