Prep 24 hrs
Cook 2 hrs
I have not tried this. It is an ethnic Philippines recipe posted for a request.
- 2 1⁄4 lbs liempo (pork belly, skin on)
- 2 bay leaves
- 175 ml vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salted bean curd, mashed
- 60 ml soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 75 g raw peanuts, shelled
- 35 g brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Parboil whole pork belly in about a liter of water for 10 minutes, then cut into 5 equal portions.
- Reserve broth.
- With a sharp knife, carefully score skin side of each portion making criss-cross slits, approximately 1 cm apart and 0.5 cm deep, then place in a bowl with all the remaining ingredients and marinate in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next morning, bring the reserved broth to boil, add pork with remaining ingredients, and cook for 1 1/2 hours, until meat is tender.
Great recipe! I like that it cooks in it's marinade so that nothing is wasted. I also liked that although it uses soy sauce and other Asian ingredients, once cooked it did not taste particularly Asian, so the dish is versatile and can be served with whatever you choose. Thanks for posting.