Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is the Hawaiian version of barbecued chicken with a Thai influence. The chicken is traditionally grilled. Huli huli means "turn turn" in Hawaiian and refers to turning the chicken on the grill.
- 5 lbs chicken pieces, washed and dried
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup sherry wine
- 1⁄4 inch gingerroot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet chili sauce
- Blend all ingredients but chicken together.
- On a clean oiled grate over medium high heat place chicken.
- Grill over barbecue, turning and basting with sauce until it is done. (about 30-40 minutes).
- Remove to indirect heat if browning to fast.
Wonderful chicken! I scaled the marinade down for one large bone in chicken breast and let it marinate for about 6 hours. The result was a delicious, flavorful and moist dinner. Thanks for posting such a great recipe which I will make often. Made for ZWT7 Golden Gourmets.
Delicious chicken! I used boneless skinless breasts, and I marinated them overnight. After grilling them on my indoor grill, I used them for Asian-inspired grilled chicken sandwiches. The chicken turned out very moist and flavorful, and it smelled wonderful as it was cooking. Thanks for posting! Made for the Emerald City Shakers for ZWT7
Great recipe, so easy to put together and so tasty! Will make this again often, thanks for posting!
Made for ZWT 7.