Prep 24 hrs
Cook 0 mins
"Huli Huli," means turn, turn. Chicken halves are cooked on metal frame screens that are turned repeatedly over a charcoal fire, somewhat like a rotisserie. Below is a basic recipe for hawaiian barbecue.
- 5 lbs chicken pieces
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 tablespoons chicken stock
- 1 piece gingerroot, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Oven Version:.
- Arrange chicken, skin side up, on rack of broiler pan.
- Broil 6 to 8 inches from unit in electric oven for 10 minutes on each side.
- Combine remaining ingredients;.
- Baste chicken and continue broiling for 10 more minutes on each side, basting frequently with sauce.
I will make again but I will marinate the chicken over night. I made exactly and I doubled the sauce.
I used chicken thighs, broiled in the oven and everyone said this is a keeper. I substituted rice wine vinegar since I didn't have any Sherry and didn't want to open a box of stock.
This was fantastic! We used the chicken stock option. Thanks for the super recipe! Even the picky eater kids ate them; that alone makes this worth 5 stars!