Recipe by Beachbunnymom
This cake tastes so light and sweet. It is similar to a hummingbird cake but I have added some things which make it taste so much better!! Also, instead of using a cream cheese frosting, I use a Cool Whip lemon frosting.
- 3 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla, ext
- 4 eggs (beaten)
- 2 overripe mashed bananas
- 2 (8 ounce) cans crushed pineapple in juice
- 1⁄2 cup coconut
- 1⁄2 cup crushed pecans (optional)
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package French vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2-9 inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- Sift flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Blend oil, eggs, and vanilla slowly. Slowly blend in flour mixture. With a wooden spoon, stir in 1 can crushed pineapples w/ juice, coconut, and mashed bananas. Stir in nuts (optional).
- Pour batter in prepared pans. Bake in preheated oven for 25-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting on racks.
- Pierce the top of one of the cakes with a fork. Pour the second can of crushed pineapple over pierced cake. Cool completely.
- To make frosting: Blend pudding mix and milk in a bowl till all lumps are out. Add lemon ext. Fold whipped topping carefully till it is blended evenly.
- When cakes are completely cooled place 1/2 cup of frosting on top of pineapple topped cake. Spread frosting evenly. Place second cake on top of frosted cake. Finish frosting cake evenly. Refrigerate until ready to serve.