Recipe by Linky
This was the featured recipe on Rachael Ray today. I've been experimenting with cast iron cooking, so this adapted perfectly. (Rachael didn't use cast iron.) Plus, I had most of the ingredients already! Hubby called this "a keeper"!
Top Review by Buzymomof3
Loved the chicken - very tasty and juicy. We didn't care for the sauce, too much tomato paste taste. I'll definitely do the chicken again though, Yum. Thanks Linky! Made for Downunder Reunion 2012
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat white cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1⁄2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Start the rice according to package directions.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Carefully butterfly the chicken breasts with a very sharp knife. Spread open and put into a zip plastic bag with a little water. Pound flat with the back of a cast iron pan or meat mallet.
- Remove from bag. Put 2 pieces of ham and half of the cheese on each breast. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, roll in flour until coated.
- Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a cast iron skillet. Add chicken rolls, seam side down, and cook on each side until golden brown. (About 8 - 10 minutes) Put in oven to finish cooking (about 8 more minutes).
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in medium skillet. Add chopped onion and pineapple. Stir until onion has softened. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato paste. Simmer, stirring occasionally until somewhat reduced.
- When done, cut each chicken roll into diagonal slices. Serve with brown rice and the pineapple sauce.