1/2 Photos of Hula Chicken With Pineapple Barbecue Sauce
This was the featured recipe on Rachael Ray today. I've been experimenting with cast iron cooking, so this adapted perfectly. (Rachael didn't use cast iron.) Plus, I had most of the ingredients already! Hubby called this "a keeper"!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 4 slices deli ham
- 1/2 cup shredded low-fat white cheddar cheese
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- flour (for dredging)
- 2 slices fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 cup tomato paste
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 1Start the rice according to package directions.
- 2Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 3Carefully butterfly the chicken breasts with a very sharp knife. Spread open and put into a zip plastic bag with a little water. Pound flat with the back of a cast iron pan or meat mallet.
- 4Remove from bag. Put 2 pieces of ham and half of the cheese on each breast. Roll up and secure with toothpicks. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, roll in flour until coated.
- 5Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a cast iron skillet. Add chicken rolls, seam side down, and cook on each side until golden brown. (About 8 - 10 minutes) Put in oven to finish cooking (about 8 more minutes).
- 6Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in medium skillet. Add chopped onion and pineapple. Stir until onion has softened. Add brown sugar, soy sauce, vinegar and tomato paste. Simmer, stirring occasionally until somewhat reduced.
- 7When done, cut each chicken roll into diagonal slices. Serve with brown rice and the pineapple sauce.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hula Chicken With Pineapple Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (668 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1316.1
- Calories from Fat 308
- Total Fat 34.2 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 107.4 mg
- Sodium 2927.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 198.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.3 g
- Sugars 40.7 g
- Protein 57.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-fat white cheddar cheese