Recipe by COOKGIRl
Yep, another one. This time I replaced regular paprika with Spanish smoked paprika (and to let you know-I reduced the amount by half in my recipe.) If you use canned garbanzo beans, be careful with the amount of salt added to the dip. Pomegranate seeds are virtually impossible to find here because the fruit is only available briefly in late autumn and winter. So, I used walnuts instead. Serve with pita bread, French bread, vegetables, etc. From Beans and Grains.
- 2 cups garbanzo beans, reserve about 1 cup liquid
- 1⁄3 cup tahini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons spanish smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, roasted for garnish or 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds, for garnish
- fresh mint sprig, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine the beans, tahini, 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic, and lemon juice in a blender.
- Blend until smooth, adding more cooking liquid if necessary.
- Taste and adjust seasoning, adding salt at this time.
- Cover and set aside at room temperature for approximately 2 hours.
- In a small saucepan, combine the remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and the smoked paprika.
- This next step you need to be diligent: Place pan over medium to medium-low heat and stir *frequently* until the olive oil turns red, about 2 minutes. (The first time I made this I burnt the mixture because I: was not paying attention and the heat was too high!) If you burn the oil, you have to start over I must stress.
- Once you've infused the oil, strain it through a fine mesh sieve into a small container. Set aside.
- When ready to serve the hummus, spread the dip on a serving platter.
- Use the back of a spoon to form an indentation in the center of the dip and fill with the olive oil/paprika infusion.
- Sprinkle dip with the toasted walnuts (or pomegranates) and garnish with fresh mint spring.
- Serve with your favorite bread. Remember: always serve hummus at room temperature for best flavor!