Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 min
This is the Best meatloaf I have ever had.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (14 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (can use fresh)
- 2 cups grated cheese
- Mix beef, egg, bread crumbs and 1 can of tomato sauce.
- Spread on 10X14 waxpaper.
- Spread cream cheese over beef mixture.
- Sprinkle onions, green pepper, mushrooms and grated cheese.
- Roll waxpaper like a Jelly Roll amd place in 8x13 pan.
- Bake 1 hour at 350.
- Top with remaining can of tomato sauce.
I am sorry to report that I had problems with this recipe. It completely split down the middle, causing it to spread out to the size of the pan, with the filling on top. The peppers and onions didn't soften while cooking, and it took 20 minutes longer than stated to cook through. The meat IS very tasty, and the filling is good, but very rich. I would highly suggest mixing the meat, pressing 1/2 into a loaf pan, then layer the toppings (but I would only use 1/4 of the recommended cream cheese), and then pat the remaining meat on top of this. Again, the meat and filling is very good, however the cooking method did not work for me, and left me with a odd looking meal to serve my guests.
I followed this recipe almost to a "T". I used a sauce with chunky mushrooms instead of adding mushrooms. I used mild cheddar for the grated cheese along with the cream cheese. After being in the oven for a half hour, the meatloaf split. I put the remainder of the sauce on top so that it didn't dry out for the last half hour. I feel that the next time I will hollow it and stuff it so there's more meat around the stuffing. I will use half the cream cheese as well. But all in all this was a very good recipe, really different. And most important, my kids loved it!