Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Allgood
- 3 lbs fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 2⁄3 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- Place a large saucepan of water over med-high heat and bring to a boil.
- Add the asparagus and cook 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.
- Drain the asparagus and arrange evenly in the prepared dish; set aside.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in the same saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Gradually add the milk; whisk constantly until thick and bubbly, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in ½ cup of the cheese and the salt.
- Blend well.
- Pour over the asparagus and set aside.
- Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and combine with the remaining ¼ cup of cheese, the breadcrumbs, and paprika.
- Sprinkle evenly over the casserole.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
- Serve warm.