1/1 Photo of Huey's Potato Torta
bluemoon downunder's Note:
My adaptation of Huey's Potato Torta. The type of cheese you use, and the amount, can be varied to suit individual taste preferences, but I do recommend using some parmesan. For a not-quite vegetarian variation add a couple of rashers of panfried bacon, chopped. Or for a vegetable variation, add spinach.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions (American) or 1 medium brown onion, finely sliced (Australian)
- kitchen aluminum foil
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 kg potato, very finely sliced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 -2 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- 2Melt the butter and garlic in a small saucepan.
- 3At the same time, heat the oil in a pan and gently sauté the onion until it has softened but not browned; then drain the onion well in a fine sieve.
- 4Line the base of a springform cake tin with foil and lightly spray it with oil; then place a layer of the potatoes on top together with onion, seasonings, herbs cheese and a little butter. Repeat the process with a double layers of potatoes, pressing down lightly with the palm of your hand. Finish with a single layer of potatoes; brush the final layer of potatoes with the remaining butter, melted, season to taste and sprinkle the milk over the top.
- 5Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender; remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
- 6Allow the torte to cool slightly before releasing it from the springform pan.
- 7Place it on a sering platter.
- 8VARIATIONS: You can add a couple of rashers of bacon; sprinkle them on before the cheese. And for another vegetarian variation, you could add a packet of thoroughly squeeze-dried frozen spinach to the drained onion, at the end of step three.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huey's Potato Torta
Serving Size: 1 (200 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 501.5
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.1 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 88.4 mg
- Sodium 542.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 21.3 g