Recipe by bluemoon downunder
My adaptation of Huey's Potato Torta. The type of cheese you use, and the amount, can be varied to suit individual taste preferences, but I do recommend using some parmesan. For a not-quite vegetarian variation add a couple of rashers of panfried bacon, chopped. Or for a vegetable variation, add spinach.
Top Review by 5thCourse
What a tasty dish with rustic flavours! I added chopped bacon and served as a main dish. I'm not sure what kind of potatos I used (long story) but they took a long time to cook. You also may want to grease the sides of the pan. I accidentally had the foil going up the sides which completely stuck to the potatos. I'd like to try this again -without the foil- and see whether it will hold its shape after cooling a little.
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions (American) or 1 medium brown onion, finely sliced (Australian)
- kitchen aluminum foil
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 1 kg potato, very finely sliced
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups tasty cheese, grated
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Melt the butter and garlic in a small saucepan.
- At the same time, heat the oil in a pan and gently sauté the onion until it has softened but not browned; then drain the onion well in a fine sieve.
- Line the base of a springform cake tin with foil and lightly spray it with oil; then place a layer of the potatoes on top together with onion, seasonings, herbs cheese and a little butter. Repeat the process with a double layers of potatoes, pressing down lightly with the palm of your hand. Finish with a single layer of potatoes; brush the final layer of potatoes with the remaining butter, melted, season to taste and sprinkle the milk over the top.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender; remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of the cooking time.
- Allow the torte to cool slightly before releasing it from the springform pan.
- Place it on a sering platter.
- VARIATIONS: You can add a couple of rashers of bacon; sprinkle them on before the cheese. And for another vegetarian variation, you could add a packet of thoroughly squeeze-dried frozen spinach to the drained onion, at the end of step three.