1/3 Photos of Huey's Italian Sausage Dog
bluemoon downunder's Note:
My adaptation of Huey's Italian version of the classic "hot" dog. Huey (Iain Hewitson) is a larger than life Melbourne restaurateur and chef who also features on his own extremely popular TV show. I have posted several of his recipes on Zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 well-flavoured thick sausages
- 1 (200 g) jar chargrilled red capsicums
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 6 pitted black olives, finely sliced, kalamata are the tastiest
- 1 cup italian tomato, cooking sauce
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- olive oil
- 2 French baguettes
- grated mozzarella cheese or tasty cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- 1Preheat the grill.
- 2Blanch the sausages in simmering water until just firm to the touch; drain well.
- 3Heat 1 tablespoon of oil from the capsicums in a large pan and gently sauté the garlic and onion until they have softened but not browned.
- 4Add the olives, the capsicums, the tomato cooking sauce and the seasonings. Mix well and cook until thickish. Then stir in 8 torn basil leaves.
- 5While the sauce is cooking, pan fry the sausages in a thin layer of oil in another pan until they are golden brown.
- 6Then cut the two baguettes into three pieces about the length of the sausages; make cuts in the centre (but NOT right through) and insert a sausage topped with the sauce inside each piece of the baguette.
- 7Place on the sausage-filled baguettes on a baking tray, top with cheeses and grill until golden and bubbling.
- 8Serve with a garnish of basil.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huey's Italian Sausage Dog
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 610.7
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.0 g
- Cholesterol 40.3 mg
- Sodium 1318.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 83.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 22.6 g