My adaptation of Huey's Italian version of the classic "hot" dog. Huey (Iain Hewitson) is a larger than life Melbourne restaurateur and chef who also features on his own extremely popular TV show. I have posted several of his recipes on Zaar.
- 6 well-flavoured thick sausages
- 1 (200 g) jar chargrilled red capsicums
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄2 red onion, cut into wedges
- 6 pitted black olives, finely sliced, kalamata are the tastiest
- 1 cup italian tomato, cooking sauce
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 10 leaves fresh basil
- olive oil
- 2 French baguettes
- grated mozzarella cheese or tasty cheese
- grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the grill.
- Blanch the sausages in simmering water until just firm to the touch; drain well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil from the capsicums in a large pan and gently sauté the garlic and onion until they have softened but not browned.
- Add the olives, the capsicums, the tomato cooking sauce and the seasonings. Mix well and cook until thickish. Then stir in 8 torn basil leaves.
- While the sauce is cooking, pan fry the sausages in a thin layer of oil in another pan until they are golden brown.
- Then cut the two baguettes into three pieces about the length of the sausages; make cuts in the centre (but NOT right through) and insert a sausage topped with the sauce inside each piece of the baguette.
- Place on the sausage-filled baguettes on a baking tray, top with cheeses and grill until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with a garnish of basil.