Recipe by bluemoon downunder
A deliciously decadent dessert considerably adapted from one of Huey's recipes. Vary the nuts according to what you have on hand and your taste preferences. You may want to match it with your icecream or you may prefer the mix and match approach! if using the optional chocolate, again it's up to you if you use dark, milk or white chocolate. And if it's more convenient, you may want to use chocolate chips. The cooking time below does not include the 1-2 hours freezing time. I've included the option of using white bread and adding thin slices of strawberries, as you may want to highlight the other flavours and not have the fruit in the fruit loaf dominate. Have fun: choosing your options and eating these sandwiches as a dessert or a snack!
Top Review by Ransomed by Fire
I made this with French toast as described, French vanilla ice cream, and caramel sauce. It had a really good flavor, but I just could not get used to the ice cream/sandwich bread combo. I wish I could find a better way to combine those flavors without using bread in it. Maybe someone could come up with a recipe for French toast-flavored cake to use instead, or maybe even use Halcyon Eve's [url=http://www.recipezaar.com/Cookie-Pancakes-Chocolate-Chip-Snickerdoodle-or-Oatmeal-206673]Snickerdoodle Pancakes[/url] instead of the bread. Reviewed for Every DAY is a Holiday.
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- olive oil flavored cooking spray
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (optional)
- 1 teaspoon butter (optional)
- 8 slices fruit bread or 8 slices white bread, cut into thick slices
- 4 scoops ice cream, any flavour, softened
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄4 cup chocolate, grated (optional)
- 6 strawberries, hulled and finely sliced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat together the eggs, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Dip the slices of bread into the egg mixture and then cook on a lightly oiled grill for about 45 seconds on each side; set aside to cool. Alternatively, you can panfry the slices of bread (preferably in a non-stick pan) in a little oil with about a teaspoon of unsalted butter; add more olive oil and butter if necessary but you shouldn't need to add much more if you're using a non-stick pan.
- When the bread has cooled, place a scoop of ice cream on a piece of bread, spreading it out across the slice; scatter with a quarter of the pecans and a quarter of the grated chocolate or a quarter of the strawberry slices; top with another piece of bread, press down and tightly wrap in plastic wrap. Then repeat the process and freeze the sandwiches for 1-2 hours.
- Unwrap the sandwiches and serve them as a snack or as a dessert.