Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Classic Huevos Rancheros have eggs poached in a Mexican-style tomato sauce, but mine includes creamy refried beans, warm and crisp tostadas, and a sauce with plenty of veggies (and meat if you are so inclined)
- refried beans (either your homemade recipe, or the kind from can is ok)
- 6 corn tortillas
- cooking spray
- 1 -2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 diced onion
- 2 -3 diced jalapenos (this depends on how hot they are... use bell if you don't really like it spicy)
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- leftover pulled pork, taco meat, chorizo, etc... (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes, with juice, chopped (you may used the kind that is already diced, if you would like)
- red chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 6 eggs
- 4 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray, place tortillas on tray so that none overlap. (I usually spray both sides of the tortillas quickly with the spray; it helps them to be crunchier)- Also, heat refried beans in a saucepan or in the microwave.
- Pour 1-2 teaspoons of veg. oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.
- When oil starts to shimmer, add onions and jalapenos and salt to taste (1/2 tsp works for me). Cook and stir occasionally until veggies start to soften (3-4 min).
- Add garlic, cook and stir for an additional minute. Taste veggies to adjust for salt, add pepper, cumin, and red chili flakes if you wish.
- Add meat if you are doing so, and toast the spices quickly with the rest of the ingredients in the pan (1-2 minutes).
- Add tomatoes with their juices, and turn the heat up to medium-high. Cook off and condense the tomato juices (5 minutes or so).
- Add tomato sauce, stir thoroughly, and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- Crack each egg into a liquid measuring cup, slide the egg into the simmering sauce. Continue to do this, spacing the eggs equally around the pan. At this point, slide the tortillas into the hot oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Cover and cook for about 5-8 minutes, depending on how done you'd like your eggs.
- To serve: Place a tostada (toasted tortilla) on the plate and spread with refried beans. use a spoon to scoop sauce and egg onto the top of the beans. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese, cilantro and hot sauce, if you wish.
Made for New Kids on the Block. I've never had Huevos Rancheros before so I didn't really know what to expect. I had some leftover taco meat that I wanted to use and this was perfect. My DD kept saying how weird it was to have eggs like this. All of us enjoyed this and I will make this again. Thanks for posting this Laura!