Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
This is one of those great breakfast casseroles you can prepare the night before and just pop in the oven the next morning.
- 5 small corn tortillas
- 354.88 ml finely shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, blend
- 226.79 g smoked cooked chorizo sausage, coarsely chopped
- 127.57 g canchopped green chilies
- 6 eggs
- 118.29 ml milk
- 2.46 ml dried oregano
- 0.59 ml ground red pepper
- Spray 8 inch square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place 4 tortillas in bottom of dish, overlapping as necessary, about 1/2 to 1 inch up sides of dish. Cut the last tortilla in half, and then into strips.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over tortillas in dish. Top with chorizo, chiles and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Arrange tortilla strips over cheese.
- In medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, oregano and red pepper; beat well. Pour over mixture in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese; press lightly into egg mixture.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350. Bake covered casserole 30 minutes.
- Uncover, bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serve with salsa.
Great dish! Easy, tasty and just good!
I served it with fresh avocado slices and a little sour cream and enjoyed it for brunch.
I made Mexican Mimosas and served it with fresh melon in a spicy mint dressing. YUMMY!
Thx for a nice easy recipe.
I made a lower calorie vegetarian version of this recipe with the following changes. It was DELICIOUS and a big hit at brunch.<br/>1. Substituted a can of Cuban style black beans for the chorizo and eliminated the chilies since they are in the beans.<br/>2. Used eggbeaters in place of the eggs.<br/>3. Used light Mexican blend shredded cheese<br/>4. Used skim milk<br/>5. Drizzled with enchilada sauce before serving.
Very yummy! We don't have "smoked chorizo" at the store- so I just heated regular, ground chorizo and spread it over 1/2 the casserole. I left the meat off the other 1/2 to accomodate picky kids. My husband and I really like it (with meat) and the kids like it (without meat). I personally find the meatless side boring. Thanks for a great breakfast/dinner item!