1/2 Photos of Huevos Rancheros Aussie Style
I ate these delicious oven baked eggs in a little cafe very recently while on a few days away. I did my best to recreate them for brunch this morning, and think mine, made with home grown tomatoes and no thoughts about profit, were better! Probably nothing like the real thing, but a yummy breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 14.78 ml olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 chorizo sausage, skinned, quarted lengthways then sliced thinly
- 4.92 ml crushed garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 inch dice)
- 1 kg tomato, peeled and diced
- 1 red chili, minced
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, diced and boiled until just tender
- juice of half a lime
- 8 eggs
- sourdough bread, toasted, to serve
- 236.59 ml grated cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 350f or 190c.
- 2Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and chorizo until the onion is well softened. Add the garlic and green pepper, cook a couple of minutes stirring, then add the tomatoes, chilli and brown sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- 3Cook for around 20 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken up and cooked down a little, then add the cooked diced potato and lime juice and cook a couple of minutes more.
- 4Spoon into 4, two cup ramekins or gratin dishes, break 2 eggs into each and top each with about 1/4 cup of cheese.
- 5Bake until the eggs are done to your liking starting to check after about 10 minutes.
- 6Serve with the sourdough toast (yummy dipped in the dish).
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huevos Rancheros Aussie Style
Serving Size: 1 (638 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 508.3
- Calories from Fat 258
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 414.8 mg
- Sodium 524.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 28.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: