I ate these delicious oven baked eggs in a little cafe very recently while on a few days away. I did my best to recreate them for brunch this morning, and think mine, made with home grown tomatoes and no thoughts about profit, were better! Probably nothing like the real thing, but a yummy breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner dish!
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 chorizo sausage, skinned, quarted lengthways then sliced thinly
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 green bell pepper, diced (about 1/2 inch dice)
- 1 kg tomato, peeled and diced
- 1 red chili, minced
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, diced and boiled until just tender
- juice of half a lime
- 8 eggs
- sourdough bread, toasted, to serve
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350f or 190c.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook the onion and chorizo until the onion is well softened. Add the garlic and green pepper, cook a couple of minutes stirring, then add the tomatoes, chilli and brown sugar. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for around 20 minutes, until the tomatoes have broken up and cooked down a little, then add the cooked diced potato and lime juice and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Spoon into 4, two cup ramekins or gratin dishes, break 2 eggs into each and top each with about 1/4 cup of cheese.
- Bake until the eggs are done to your liking starting to check after about 10 minutes.
- Serve with the sourdough toast (yummy dipped in the dish).