Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Another winner from my MIL- this is a brunch favorite and so simple to make with pantry staples. This doubles and triples well.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dried onion flakes
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder (not cayenne)
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried minced parsley
- 4 eggs
- Melt butter and add onion, garlic, marjoram, chili powder, salt, pepper, parsley, and tomato sauce.
- Simmer for a few minutes to allow flavors to blend.
- Carefully crack eggs into the sauce, cover pan and allow eggs to poach (cooking just a few minutes until whites are set).
- Serve over tortilla chips.
- *Note:if sauce looks too thick, you can add a bit of water to the pan before adding eggs.
I make this on almost a weekly basis now; it's one of our favorites! It's sooo easy and fast, plus delish. Way better than other huevos rancheros I've had. To avoid the soggy chips, I leave mine on the side and scoop with them instead. LOVE THIS!!
This was my first attempt at making Huevos Rancheros, so maybe this just isn't the dish for us. The sauce flavor was ok, but we didn't like the soggy tortilla chips with eggs at all. I did add some chopped peppers and onions in the sauce, also. Something about the tomato sauce base and poached eggs just didn't work together. This recipe just isn't for my family, but, we always enjoy trying new things-- thanks for sharing the recipe!
We really liked this dish. It was very quick and easy. The flavor wasn't overly spicy.I simmered my sauce about 5 minutes before I added the eggs. I think I like the crumbled up tortilla chips over the whole fried tortillas. We topped ours with a little sour cream and shredded cheddar cheese. Thanks BothFex Bullwinkle