Recipe by Lvs2Cook
A breakfast casserole that can be made the night before and refrigerated until baking the next morning (add 10 minutes baking time) or can be frozen. Two 15 ounce cans of crushed tomatoes can be subbed for the fresh tomatoes. Serve with warm tortillas and hot sauce on the side.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 lbs fresh tomatoes, seeded and crushed
Eggs and Assembly
- 1 dozen egg
- 8 ounces monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Ranchero sauce:
- Cook the onion, bell pepper, garlic and salt in the olive oil in a skillet until the veggies are brown, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the flour, chili powder, cumin, sugar and pepper.
- Add the tomatoes and mix well.
- Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 350º.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl until blended.
- Lightly scramble the eggs in a non-stick skillet and spoon into a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Spoon the sauce over the eggs and sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 25 minutes.