Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
- 3 medium jalapenos, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 1 1⁄2 lbs plum tomatoes, cored and halved (about 8 medium)
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 2 medium garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- table salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro leaves, minced
- ground black pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 4 corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- FOR THE SALSA:
- Adjust oven rack to middle position; preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mince one jalapeño and set aside.
- In medium bowl, combine tomatoes, remaining jalapeños, onion, garlic, tomato paste, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons oil, cumin, and cayenne pepper; toss to mix thoroughly.
- Place vegetables cut side down on baking sheet.
- Roast 35 to 45 minutes; cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Increase oven heat to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Using tongs, transfer roasted onions, garlic, and jalapeños to bowl of food processor.
- Process until almost completely broken down, about 10 seconds, pausing halfway through to scrape sides of bowl with rubber spatula.
- Add tomatoes and process until salsa is slightly chunky, about 10 seconds more.
- Add 2 tablespoons cilantro, reserved minced jalapeño, salt, pepper, and lime juice to taste.
- FOR THE TORTILLAS: Brush both sides of each tortilla lightly with remaining tablespoon oil, sprinkle both sides with salt, and place on clean baking sheet. Bake until tops just begin to color, 5 to 7 minutes; flip tortillas and continue to bake until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- FOR THE EGGS:
- Meanwhile, bring salsa to gentle simmer in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Remove from heat and make four shallow wells in salsa with back of large spoon.
- Break 1 egg into cup; carefully pour egg into well in salsa; repeat with remaining eggs.
- Season each egg with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover skillet and place over medium-low heat.
- Cook until desired doneness: 4 to 5 minutes for runny yolks, 6 to 7 minutes for set yolks.
- TO SERVE:
- Place tortillas on serving plates; gently scoop one egg onto each tortilla. Spoon salsa around each egg, covering tortillas, but leaving portion of eggs exposed.
- Sprinkle with remaining cilantro and serve with lime wedges.