Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
mexican style ranch eggs
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, diced
- 1 (4 ounce) canroasted chili peppers, drained and chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Heat 1 T of oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the chili powder, onion, bell pepper, and garlic and saute until the onion is softened, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chile peppers, season with salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Heat the remaining 2 T oil in a large skillet over medium heat. One at a time, fry the tortillas until they are lightly browned, about 30 seconds per side. Set them aside on individual plates.
- Break the eggs into the skillet and cook them until the whites just begin to set. Reduce the heat and continue cooking until the whites are just barely firm.
- Top each tortilla with an egg. Spoon the tomato sauce over the eggs (the heat of the sauce will continue to cook the eggs), sprinkle with the cheese, and serve immediately.