1/2 Photos of Huevos Rancheros
Kumquat the Cat's friend's Note:
What makes huevos rancheros good? The salsa of course! This recipe was developed by Chef Traci Des Jardins, cut out of an article in the New York Times food section. Tomatillos look like little green tomatoes in husks. If you don't have any available where you live, use a cup of salsa verde (green salsa) and adjust the additional heat downward accordingly. I've tried it both ways. You will also like these if made with your favorite canned salsa. The salsa recipe is posted elsewhere.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 dried chipotle chile (or 1 canned)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1 lb tomatillo, husked (about 6)
- 2 medium tomatoes, stemmed
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2Place chipotle pepper and jalapeno pepper in small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil and turn off heat. Set aside until chipotle is softened, about 30 minutes, and drain. If you want a milder salsa, seed peppers.
- 3Meanwhile place tomatillos and tomatoes in a shallow metal baking pan and roast in oven for 15-20 minutes and remove without turning off oven.
- 4Transfer to a blender and add drained peppers (you might want to start with half a pepper each and adjust according to taste) and oil, oregano, marjoram, lime juice, salt & pepper and cilantro, if desired. Blend well until smooth.
- 5Place tortillas on a large baking sheet and spread evenly with cheese. Bake about 3 minutes.
- 6Meanwhile, cook eggs to taste (scrambled, fried or poached).
- 7Place an egg on each tortilla, and top with a generous tablespoon of sauce, onions, parmesan cheese and cilantro if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huevos Rancheros
Serving Size: 1 (414 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 549.2
- Calories from Fat 288
- Total Fat 32.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 476.9 mg
- Sodium 528.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 32.6 g