Recipe by JT'sMom
When we go to Cozumel this is what we have every morning for Breakfast. It is a traditional dish from the town of Motul in the Mexican state of Yucatan. I haven't made the Salsa yet (used Pace), but the main part sure takes me back to the Island.
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 2 cups black beans, cooked and pureed
- 1 cup green peas, thawed if frozen
- 8 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup queso fresco, shredded (can substitute with jack cheese)
For Yucatan-Style Salsa
- 4 habanero peppers (charred, seeded, and mashed)
- 4 key limes, juice of
- 4 garlic cloves (charred, peeled, and mashed)
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- First make the salsa by simply mixing all the salsa ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Add 1/4 inch of oil to a medium fry pan. Place over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot fry tortilla's one at a time, until the edges are crisp but center is still soft. Just a few seconds per side.
- Place cooked tortillas next to each other on a large baking sheet and place in the oven to keep warm.
- In a separate large frying pan over medium-high heat, melt the butter and fry the diced ham until partially browned and heated through. Remove to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
- In the same pan, reduce heat to medium and add the beans. Cook until warmed through, stirring often.
- While the beans are cooking, drain the oil from the tortilla pan leaving a thin coat of oil. Return pan to medium-high heat and begin frying eggs according to your preference. Traditional is sunny-side-up.
- Remove baking sheet from oven. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- On the baking sheet, construct each serving on top of tortillas as follows: a layer of black beans, 1 fried egg (you may want to place eggs on tortillas right after they finish cooking to maintain your flow and conserve your work space), salsa, equal amounts of ham, peas, and top with grated cheese.
- Return baking sheet to oven and cook until cheese begins to melt - about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm. Each serving consists of two tortillas.