Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This spicy eggs and chorizo can be eaten with tortillas or served rolled inside the tortilla to make a burrito breakfast. Serrano chilies are very hot, you can substitute Jalapeno. Posted for ZWT5.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb chorizo sausage
- 1 onion (small-chopped)
- 2 serrano chilies (seeded & chopped)
- 8 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro (leaves chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup queso blanco (or monterey jack cheese)
- 4 flour tortillas (optional)
- 1 avocado (optional-diced)
- 1⁄2 cup salsa (optional)
- Heat chorizo in oil, fry until browned, drain off any excess oil; add onion cook 2-3 min., then add chilies.
- Beat eggs well and cook scrambled style in a medium sized skillet,when almost done, fold in cheese, chorizo mixture & lastly cilantro leaves.
- The meat/egg mixture can be served as is with avacado and salsa on the side or rolled in a flour tortilla, burrito style garnished with avacado & salsa.
DH made this recipe for us for brunch yesterday. It was very easy to prepare and came together quickly. It had good flavor but the texture was a little dry (maybe it was the way we prepared it?). We halved the recipe and used monterey jack cheese. I would suggest using a really good salsa for this recipe and making sure the cheese and salsa are at room temperature before serving--straight from the fridge can make the dish seem a little cold. Made for ZWT5. Thanks!
Ummmm, FANTASTIC stuff here. Eating it now as a brunch, so to speak. I used soy chorizo to make it a vegetarian meal. I cut the recipe down to serve 1 and it still made 4 small tacos. I used soft corn tortillas for an authentic Mexican feel. Also added fresh avocado and some sour cream. The sour cream was a great addition and curbed the spice from the serranos. I also want to stress that the cilantro really makes this special, so don't leave it out! Made for ZWT5. THanks!