1/1 Photo of Huevos Benedict
I found this wonderful cookbook, Real New Mexico Chile. It has such unsual recipes in it and this was one I had to try. It is billed as the New Mexico version of Eggs Benedict. I made this using whole wheat pastry flour and blue cornmeal. However, it will work just as well with your choice of cornmeal and all-purpose flour. The eggs can be fried or use my Microwave Poached Eggs Microwave Poached Eggs. Serve this with a fruit salad for a nice weekend brunch.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 whole wheat flour or 1 all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml cornmeal
- 3.69 ml baking soda
- 3.69 ml baking powder
- 1.23 ml salt
- 59.14 ml shortening
- 236.59 ml nonfat plain yogurt
- 1Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- 2In a medium bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda and salt.
- 3With a pastry cutter, mix in the shortening until crumbly.
- 4Gently stir in the yogurt just to moisten and form a soft dough.
- 5Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- 6Pat dough into a circle 1 inch thick and cut biscuits using a 3 inch cutter.
- 7Bake biscuits in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- 8In a heavy skillet over medium heat saute the choirzo or sausage in oil until brown, drain if needed.
- 9Return drained meat to skillet and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons flour, cook stirring until flour is brown, about 5 minutes.
- 10Whisk in the milk and milk powder while continuing to stir.
- 11Cook until mixture is thick and consistency of cream gravy, about 5 minutes.
- 12Add the green chiles, stirring to mix.
- 13Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- 14Split biscuits and top with cooked egg, divide sauce evenly and serve.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huevos Benedict
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.8
- Calories from Fat 245
- Total Fat 27.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.2 g
- Cholesterol 239.9 mg
- Sodium 824.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 21.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole wheat flour