Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
While on vacation in Nuevo Vallarta, on Banderas Bay, Mexico, I played around with ingredients on hand one morning and came up with this recipe for breakfast. I like it because it is nice twist on French Toast, (and it sounds pretty).
- 2 slices texas toast whole wheat bread
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1 fluid ounce dark rum
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 fresh pear, not peeled,seeds removed,sliced into 8 's
- 1 fresh lemon, juice of
- butter, for stove top cooking
- oil, for stove top cooking
- whipping cream or thawed Cool Whip, ready for use or Reddi-wip topping, if you prefer
- If using whipping cream, beat until stiff peaks form andset aside.
- BREAD: Cut in 1/2 and 1/2 again to create 8 square pieces and set aside.
- EGGS: Beat eggs well.
- Add amber rum.
- Beat again and set aside.
- PEARS: Dip sliced pears into lemon juice.
- Coat each slice well and set aside.
- Mix cinnamon powder and brown sugar and set aside.
- Dip bread squares in egg/rum mixture and coat well; be sure to use all the egg mixture.
- Heat oil and butter together.
- Cook bread to desired doneness and transfer to warm plates.
- Roll prepared pear slices in cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
- Place sliced pears in melted butter and cook until browned on both sides.
- Arrange pear slices on cooked bread squares; one slice per piece.
- Top with whipping cream and serve.
I "adopted" this recipe for the Toolie "Super Survivor" Cook-a-Thon! HOLY SCHMOLY TOOLIE...this is some REALLY GOOD STUFF! I never would have thought of putting all of these ingredients together but the taste is outstanding. Made it for breakfast this morning and brought the few pieces I had left into work. I nearly got tackled coming down the hallway! This recipe is simple and fairly quick to prepare. I'm really glad you picked the recipe up while in Mexico...it is terrific! THANKS FOR SHARING IT WITH YOUR ZAAR FAMILY!