In Spain eggs appear in many forms and at different times of the day. Huevos a la Flamenca is an egg cassoulet native to Andulasia, home of the flamenco dance. The eggs are baked atop a thick, spicy "sofrito" sauce. Posted for ZWT!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb chorizo sausage or 1/2 lb Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups ham, fully cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded, chopped, and drained
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- 2In a skillet cook the sausage, ham, onion, and garlic until the onion is tender, and the sausage is brown. Drain off fat.
- 3Stir in tomatoes, red or green pepper, tomato puree, pimento, thyme, oregano, and ground red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes or till the liquid is almost evaporated.
- 4Spoon the sauce into six lightly greased 8 or 10 oz individual casseroles. Carefully break one egg at a time into a small dish; slide one into each casserole. Arrange asparagus and peas around the eggs.
- 5Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven about 20 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Huevos a La Flamenca
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.0
- Calories from Fat 195
- Total Fat 21.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 237.5 mg
- Sodium 1092.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 25.9 g