Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In Spain eggs appear in many forms and at different times of the day. Huevos a la Flamenca is an egg cassoulet native to Andulasia, home of the flamenco dance. The eggs are baked atop a thick, spicy "sofrito" sauce. Posted for ZWT!
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage or 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups ham, fully cooked and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 large tomatoes, seeded, chopped, and drained
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1 tablespoon pimiento, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper, ground
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄4 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet cook the sausage, ham, onion, and garlic until the onion is tender, and the sausage is brown. Drain off fat.
- Stir in tomatoes, red or green pepper, tomato puree, pimento, thyme, oregano, and ground red pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered about 15 minutes or till the liquid is almost evaporated.
- Spoon the sauce into six lightly greased 8 or 10 oz individual casseroles. Carefully break one egg at a time into a small dish; slide one into each casserole. Arrange asparagus and peas around the eggs.
- Bake, uncovered in a 350 degree oven about 20 minutes or until eggs are set. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
I made this family style in a large skillet since there are only two of us. I did not expect DH to care for it since it called for a lot of tomatoes and he isn't always a fan. The more he ate, the more he liked and finished up by saying "you could make that again!" High praise from a man who is a self-professed mater-hater! Thanks for a great recipe!
Loved this recipe; I cut it down to serve 3, and left out the peas - I would have loved them in it but the others wouldn't have touches it. Served with home made biscuits, hot coffee and fresh juice. Makes a great company breakfast with such a wide variety of flavors. I'll be back later to post my photo. Made for ZWT-8 Pick a Pepper Challenge.
Awesome recipe. Easy to put together & really enjoyed the flavours. I increased the sausage & ham abit. I didn't have individual casseroles so I used a rectangular casserole dish. I made small impressions & broke 1 egg in each area. Tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.