Recipe by Montana Heart Song
In Montana you wait for the huckleberries to get ripe, then you try to buy some to make this jam. They grow on West side of the Rockies. Then it is time for Jams, jellies, pies, ice cream, creams, it is a very small berry, dark purple to dark red and has a good taste.
Top Review by acme
I just received two huge bags of what I think are huckleberries; found this recipe and added two vanilla beans to recipe. Came out wonderful and a really pretty color. Highly recommend this recipe!
- 4 1⁄2-5 cups huckleberries, washed
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 6 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
- 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 2 (1 3/4 ounce) packages dry pectin
- 1 tablespoon margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 1/2 cups huckleberries and 1/3 cup water in a blender with the lemon zest. Blend until pureed. Add balance of huckleberries and 1/3 cup water and puree.
- In large stockpot, add pureed huckleberries,pectin,lemon juice and water.
- Stir constantly. Bring to a rolling boil. A boil that cannot be stirred down.
- Stir in Sugar. Stir until dissolved. Bring a full rolling boil. One that cannot be stirred down. Boil 1 minute exactly.
- Stir in margarine.
- Take off heat and skim any foam.
- Pour in hot sterilized jars.
- Wipe rims with a hot cloth and seal and band.
- Put in a hot water bath for 15 minutes.
- Take out on a toweled counter. Keep away from drafts until they seal.