Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Makes me think of Southern food...
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 4 tablespoons honey (preferably huckleberry honey)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups cake flour
- In a mixer, cream together butter and sugars for about 3 minutes. Add honey and beat another minute.
- Add eggs yolks, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- Alternating, add 1/3 of dry ingredients to the mixer bowl, followed by ½ of the buttermilk. Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, the last of the buttermilk and then the last 1/3 of the dry ingredients.
- Move batter to a large mixing bowl. Clean your mixer bowl. Add egg whites and beat to stiff peaks. Fold into the batter.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-inch cake pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes at 350°F Insert a knife to see if it comes out clean.