Recipe by happygurl06
Another recipe that only hubby is allowed to make these days. I don't know what it is but he always makes it better than me! His mum used to make this all the time--she had 8 kids!
- 500 g macaroni, cooked al dente
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, reserve 1 tbs
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 800 ml whole milk
- 500 g kraft cheddar cheese, grated, reserve 1 cup
- salt and pepper
- 1 (425 g) can tuna, drained
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a medium saucepan.
- Remove from the heat and mix in flour.
- Return to the heat and cook on low stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
- Keep mixing and add the milk in 1/4 cup lots, waiting for the sauce to thicken before adding more milk.
- Then add the cheese less the 1 cup.
- Stir until cheese is dissolved; add salt and pepper to your liking.
- In a large baking tray layer half the macaroni on the bottom (I always spray the pan with cooking spray to make cleaning up easier).
- Top that with half the tuna flakes.
- Pour half the cheese sauce on top of that and bang the tray on the bench (Hubby says this is an important step).
- Repeat the process. Don't forget to bang the tray on the bench again.
- Sprinkle the reserved grated cheese on top and then the breadcrumbs.
- Divide the reserved tbs butter into 4 and pop them on top.
- Bake in a moderate 180 degree oven until golden and crunchy on top - about 20-30 minutes.
- If you have prepared this earlier and put it in the fridge, cover the top with foil for the first 10 minutes and then take it off and cook a further 20-30 minutes.