Recipe by happygurl06
My husband is the only one allowed to cook pasta bolognaise in our house. He has the patience--I don't! This recipe was his mother's and that came from her mother--an old family favourite.
- 500 g minced beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 zucchini
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 (425 g) cans whole tomatoes
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Pulse all the veggies in a blender until they are chopped fine.
- Do the same with the bacon.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and sauté the veggies until onion and celery are transparent.
- Add the bacon and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the minced meat and cook until well browned.
- Add the tomato paste, basil and oregano; cook for 2 minutes to let the flavour of the herbs and paste come out.
- Add the canned tomatoes including their juice.
- Dissolve the beef bouillon and sugar in the water and add to the pan.
- Simmer for 1 hour or until the sauce is thick and not runny. If the water evaporates too quickly, top it up as the long cooking is what makes this taste great.
- Serve over cooked pasta of your choice or layer with lasagna sheets and a good bechemal sauce for a yummy lasagna.
- For adaptation to crockpot: Brown mince and onion then add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 5 hours or more.