Recipe by Evelyn L Jepson
This is a beet/horseradish condiment. It is served with ham, or any meats.
- 10 beets, boiled, peeled and grated
- 3 (6 ounce) bottles horseradish, drained, discard juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil beets, till tender, remove drain, run beets under cold water, skins should fall off. Grate on ricer side of grater; Set aside.
- Drain 3 bottles of hot horseradish, and set aside.
- Boil vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Take beet mixture and add horseradish mixture, mixing until no horseradish is showing.
- Add pickle mixture, and mix well. Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Pack into bottles leaving headspace, and wipe the top of the bottle, poke with long skewer, for air bubbles, and add a bit of juice if dry. Put on lid and retainer, till just tight, and submerge in a water bath for 10 minutes.