Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
In Tunisia(North Africa), a variety of different marinades, condiments, and relishes are served with prepared foods and sometimes on their own as a salad or meze. This preparation is called hrus which means to crush or grind, and that’s what you do to the ingredients in this condiment used typically as a stuffing for bread, but also as a relish, a meze, and a salad. Adapted from Clifford A. Wright.
- 1 large fresh red jalapeno chile, seeded
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground coriander seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly ground caraway seed
- 2 dried rose buds, ground (I buy dried rose buds at the health food store, or get them from my yard)
- Place the chile, onion, garlic, and salt in a mortar and pound with a pestle until mushy(or use a food processor). Stir in the coriander seeds, caraway, and rose buds and refrigerate until needed.