Recipe by Pa. Hiker
This is a traditional eastern 'cheese' (really an egg ball). During lent we give up all forms of meat and dairy products, then on Easter Sunday pig out on what we've given up. NOTE: the whey from this is used in my Paska recipe, save it and make both!
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour milk into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs slightly and add gradually to milk.
- Cook over low heat for about seven minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and vanilla, stir continually so mixture will not scorch.
- Pour mixture into a linen towel or cheesecloth, squeeze and tie tightly.
- Hang and let dry for two hours.
- Cover with a wet napkin and place in refrigerator.