Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a traditional eastern 'cheese' (really an egg ball). During lent we give up all forms of meat and dairy products, then on Easter Sunday pig out on what we've given up. NOTE: the whey from this is used in my Paska recipe, save it and make both!
- Pour milk into saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Beat eggs slightly and add gradually to milk.
- Cook over low heat for about seven minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, and vanilla, stir continually so mixture will not scorch.
- Pour mixture into a linen towel or cheesecloth, squeeze and tie tightly.
- Hang and let dry for two hours.
- Cover with a wet napkin and place in refrigerator.
My family has made this every Easter for ever. Our recipe is a little different. I have never seen it in any cookbook