Recipe by CountryMama
This is similar to a cream of wheat cake that is posted, but this makes yummy, dense, syrupy squares. Very addictive.
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 -2 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice (or substitute rosewater)
- grated lemon rind (optional)
- 2 cups cream of wheat
- 1 cup plain yogurt (regular is best)
- 1⁄2 cup soft butter
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- blanched almond (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugar, water, lemon juice and rind in a saucepan.
- Stir to dissolve sugar and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn to low, and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cool. Reserve 3/4 cup for square batter.
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Grease an 8X8" or 13X9" pan (depending on whether you want thick or thin squares).
- Combine Cream of Wheat, yogurt, butter, baking powder, and 3/4 cup cooled syrup. Mix well, but do not beat.
- Pour into pan, spreading evenly. Shake and lightly drop pan to settle mixture.
- Lightly mark squares or diamonds (without cutting through) and place one or two almonds in the centre of each one.
- Bake 35-40 minutes. Remove and turn oven up to 375°F.
- Cut squares through and return to oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Pour remaining cooled syrup over top and let sit until syrup is absorbed (this takes a long time, so I usually make these the night before I need them).