Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My mom got this recipe from her mother-in-law (my grandmother, Irma Howard Cook). It was my dad's favorite cake. My dad would often put peanut butter on his cake, so sometimes my mom would make peanut butter icing.
- Dissolve cocoa in cold water to make a paste.
- Combine cocoa paste with the sugar shortening eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Fold into first mixture.
- Dissolve soda in boiling water and add to the batter. It will be thin.
- Pour into two greased 8-inch cake pans and bake at 300F for an hour.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.