Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Based on the method in Cooking For Geeks.
Make and share this How to Test Your Oven Temperature Without a Thermometer recipe from Food.com.
- To test if your oven is running cold:.
- Preheat oven to 375°. (186° C.).
- Place a small amount of granulated sugar in an oven-proof dish or on a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil.
- Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- If your oven is calibrated correctly, the sugar will melt.
- If your oven is running cold, the sugar will not melt.
- To test if your oven is running hot:.
- Preheat oven to 350°. (177° C.).
- Follow the same procedure as above.
- If your oven is calibrated correctly, the sugar will not melt (although it may brown a little).
- If your oven is running hot, the sugar will melt.
- Note: ovens do not maintain a constant temperature, but cycle above and below it, so it is possible that the sugar may melt at 350° if your oven is correctly calibrated but has an extreme cycle (15° F, 8° C.).
Well, am surprised b/c my oven is calibrated correctly-thought it ran cold. For first test, the sugar melted. For second test, it barely browned around the edges. Thank you Chocolatl for a very interesting "recipe".
Found out that my oven runs cold and my toaster oven runs hot.
Well, my oven runs a bit cold and, though you can't tell in the photo, the sugar browned a bit but didn't melt. This was interesting as I wasn't certain, before, which was wrong, the external oven thermometer or the internal oven thermometer.