Wheat berries, also called soft wheat, are found in the health food stores and in some grocery stores. This is a good basic recipe for srpouting. When sprouted, they have a wonderful sweet taste. The sprouts should get 1/3"- 3/4" long. These are great in salads, bread, as a snack, and in stir fry. Enjoy! When I cant' find cheesecloth, I cut up a washcloth into 4 squares. One square works great! Cook time is sprouting time. Adapted from the cookbook Fresh!
- 59.14 ml wheat berries
- Plaace 1/4 cup wheat berries in a quart canning jar(or similar regular jar) and fill with lukewarm water.
- Place a double thickness of cheesecloth over the mouth and secure with jar ring or rubber band.
- Drain water through the cheesecloth, fill again, and let soak for 2 hours.
- Drain, rinse again and drain.
- Place jar on it's side in a dark place.
- Rinse and drain twice a day for 2-4 days, or until 2 cups of sprouts are formed. Place the sprouts in a colander, rinse with cold water, drain and store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Enjoy!