Roasting garlic is so simple, and the result is very worthwhile-- I don't know why I don't do it more often. I love the aromatic perfume of sweet roast garlic, and the ease of squeezing the cloves of soft garlic out of their skins. Roast garlic is so mellow creamy and rich, not harsh at all like fresh garlic. Wonderful mashed with a fork and spread on warm French bread, or mixed with a little cream to top a steak or baked potato--the possibilities are endless. I sometimes like adding fresh herbs from the garden (fresh rosemary, basil or sage), for variation. This is a great simple technique for roasting multiple heads of garlic. Store roast garlic tightly sealed and refrigerated, and use within three days. Or, you can freeze roast garlic in an airtight container with a little olive oil and herbs. Enjoy!
My Private Note
whole h ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- 2Without breaking the head of garlic apart, remove as much of the outer papery coating as you can.
- 3Use a sharp knife to cut off the top (pointed end) of the garlic head, so the tops of the cloves are exposed.
- 4Place the head in a square of aluminum foil, and drizzle with a couple teaspoons of olive oil and a little coarse salt (rub with your fingers to completely coat the garlic head). Sprinkle with a small amount of fresh rosemary leaves, if desired.
- 5Fold up the foil to make a little purse-like package, and place into a muffin tin.
- 6Repeat with remaining heads of garlic.
- 7Bake for about 45 minutes at 375 degrees F or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
- 8Let the garlic cool until it can be handled easily. The cloves will squeeze easily out of their skins.
- 9Eat as is (I love a warm roast sweet garlic straight up) or mash with a fork and use for cooking.
- 10Store roast garlic tightly sealed and refrigerated, and use within three days. Or, you can freeze roast garlic in an airtight container with a little olive oil and herbs.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Roast Garlic
Serving Size: 1 (360 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 89.4
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 10.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 0.6 g
- Protein 3.8 g