Recipe by glenajo
This came from a cookbook purchased in New Mexico years ago. Thought someone might find this helpful.
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse and drain chilies.
- Make a steam vent in each by using a toothpick or an ice pick.
- Place chilies on a foil-covered cookie sheet and set it 4 to 6 inches below the broiler unit.
- Roast chilies, turning them frequently until they are uniformly blistered.
- Remove chilies from oven, place in a bowl and cover with a cold, damp towel (to steam them) for 10 minutes.
- Starting at stem end, peel the outer skin downward. Remove the stem and the seeds, if desired. If preparing chili for rellenos (stuffing), the stem end should be left intact.
- The chili is now ready for freezing or to use in any recipe.
- Green chilies may be frozen after the skins are blistered and before peeling. The skins slip off quite easily when the chilies are thawed.