2 hrs 10 mins
Gjo Chef #744267's Note:
This came from a cookbook purchased in New Mexico years ago. Thought someone might find this helpful.
My Private Note
- 1Rinse and drain chilies.
- 2Make a steam vent in each by using a toothpick or an ice pick.
- 3Place chilies on a foil-covered cookie sheet and set it 4 to 6 inches below the broiler unit.
- 4Roast chilies, turning them frequently until they are uniformly blistered.
- 5Remove chilies from oven, place in a bowl and cover with a cold, damp towel (to steam them) for 10 minutes.
- 6Starting at stem end, peel the outer skin downward. Remove the stem and the seeds, if desired. If preparing chili for rellenos (stuffing), the stem end should be left intact.
- 7The chili is now ready for freezing or to use in any recipe.
- 8Green chilies may be frozen after the skins are blistered and before peeling. The skins slip off quite easily when the chilies are thawed.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Prepare a Fresh Green Chili
Serving Size: 1 (1428 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 23.8
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 5.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.8 g
- Protein 1.0 g