Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
The nightmare happened in broad daylight to me yesterday at around 1pm when I had finished making rice and had to cook dal for my family(and parents arriving from India). I ran out of gas!!! I was terrified because without gas it becomes hard to cook. LOL. And, I had never made dal this way in the microwave. So, I took God's name and managed to do this. Enjoy! Note: If you do not wish to season this, simply add salt, pepper and enjoy it as a soup!
- Put the lentils in a colander or bowl and wash under atlast 10-12 changes of water to get rid of small dirt pieces that are packed alongwith lentils. You may need to wash less depending on how clean the lentil packet is.
- Soak the lentils in a bowl of clean water for an hour.
- Pour 2 cups water in a microwave-safe(and microwave proof) bowl.
- Add the drained lentils.
- Microwave for 7 minutes on HIGH power level.
- Drain water and refresh the lentils in three changes of cold water.
- Add water to the lentils until it is about an inch over the level of lentils in the bowl.
- Cover with a clingfilm wrap and microwave for 7 minutes on HIGH power level.
- Uncover, drain the scum floating on top and microwave for 10 minutes, uncovered.
- Allow to stand for 10 minutes.
- Whisk on low speed using an electric beater or use a spoon and mash the lentils.
- If they do not mash easily, add 2 cups water and microwave on HIGH power level for 5 minutes. Keep aside and mash when desired.
- For seasoning, you may use a teaspoons each of mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, 1/2 teaspoons asafoetida powder(hing), few curry leaves, a tomato(chopped), 1/4 cup of tamarind juice and some fresh corriander leaves as a garnish.