5 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
jas kaur's Note:
Murgh Makhni Recipe. Alfred Prasad, Head chef at Michelin-starred Tamarind in London's Mayfair shows how to make his special Murgh Makhni. A delicious grilled chicken dish, simmered in creamed fresh tomatoes flavoured with ginger, fenugreek leaves and honey. Delight in our Murgh Makhni recipe. courtesy videojug.com watch the video at http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-make-murgh-makhni
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 500 g chicken thighs (boneless)
- 50 g ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 65 ml yoghurt
- 1/2 tablespoon kashmiri chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 40 ml vegetable oil
- 15 g ginger
- 6 green chilies
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 5 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 750 g tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon kashmiri chili powder
- 60 ml single cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried fenugreek leaves (powdered kasoori methi)
- 50 g butter
- 75 g cashew nuts
- 1Wash the Chicken.
- 2Take the boneless chicken thighs and wash them in cold water. Put them into a colander and pat dry with a kitchen cloth.
- 3Add the 50g of garlic and ginger paste to the bowl, along with half a teaspoon of salt.
- 4Using your hands to mix everything together in the colander, to make sure the chicken gets a really even coating of the mix.
- 5Put 65ml of natural yoghurt into a new bowl. Add half a tablespoon of oil and half a tablespoon of chilli powder.
- 6Whisk these ingredients together.
- 7Cover the chicken with the whisked mixture. Once again use your hands to make sure that the chicken is thoroughly coated in the mixture. Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil and keep mixing.
- 8Cover the chicken in cling film and put it in a refrigerator.
- 9Leave the chicken to marinate for no less than 4 hours.
- 10After 4 hours, put the pieces of chicken on some greaseproof paper, and place under the grill for 10 to 15 minutes. There is no need to turn them.
- 11Remove the chicken from the grill and leave to cool for a few minutes. Then cut it into bite-sized pieces. Cover with cling film or plastic wrap and put it back in the refrigerator.
- 12Start by peeling and finely chopping 15g of ginger. Then heat 40ml of vegetable oil in a large saucepan, on a medium to high heat.
- 13When the oil is hot, add the four sticks of cinnamon to the pan.
- 14Then, add the 5 cardamom pods.
- 155 cloves.
- 16and a few bay leaves.
- 17stir for a couple of minutes, then add the chopped ginger, cook for a further minute and add the 6 green chillies.
- 18Put the 750 g of fresh, whole tomatoes into the pan and stir. Turn the hob down to a medium heat and carry on stirring for a couple of minutes. Turn the heat down low and leave to sit for about a minute. Then add 100ml of water, put the lid on, and leave to simmer for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes are cooked to a purée.
- 19Take the pan off the heat. Remove any whole spices.
- 20Now you need to crush the tomato mixture into a paste like consistency. You could use a wooden spoon, but a blender is preferable. Blend until smooth.
- 21Use a sieve to strain the puréed mixture into the saucepan to get rid of any lumps. Add a little water to get all the mixture out. Put the pan on a high heat to bring it back to the boil.
- 22In the meantime, use the blender to grind about two thirds of the cashew nuts, that's 50g, into powder. Then add a tiny amount of water and blend into a paste.
- 23Once the sauce is hot and bubbling, add one tablespoon of tomato paste.
- 24Then the ground cashew nuts. Add a little water to the blender to get all the paste out.
- 25Add half a teaspoon of chilli powder.
- 26and a tablespoon of honey.
- 27and stir for about 3 minutes.
- 28Then add 50g of butter and stir until it melts. Next, a generous sprinkling of salt. Leave the sauce for about 5 minutes and then stir in one teaspoon of Kasoori methi, which are the ground dried fenugreek leaves.
- 29Leave the sauce gently bubbling over a medium heat and move onto stage.
- 30Finish the sauce.
- 31In another frying pan melt a little butter. Use a sharp knife to roughly chop the remaining third, or 25 g, of the cashew nuts and add them to the pan. Then, throw in the seasoned chicken tikka that you grilled earlier.
- 32Fry for about 3 minutes on a high flame.
- 33Add the sauce.
- 34Cover the chicken with the sauce. Then add 60 ml of single cream.
- 35Then stir the chicken and sauce together for about 3 minutes. It should be simmering while you do this.
- 37Decorate with a little drizzle of cream and serve with naan bread or rice.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for How to Make Murgh Makhani
Serving Size: 1 (481 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 712.2
- Calories from Fat 501
- Total Fat 55.7 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 143.3 mg
- Sodium 622.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.8 g
- Protein 28.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
kashmiri chili powder
dried fenugreek leaves