Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
An heirloom recipe impractical for most modern cooks (don't know how this would work with storebought, pasteurized and homogenized milk). If desired, add 1/2 teaspoon of grated onion, caraway seeds, green onion tops, or garlic to the cheese. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts institute of Chicago, 1947. Posted as a historical novelty. Cooking time is approximate draining time.
- 1 quart sour milk
- 1 quart warm water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- chives, minced (garnish) (optional)
- cream or sour cream
- Heat sour milk to lukewarm and pour into a cheesecloth bag.
- Pour warm water over this; after it has been drained through, repeat twice more.
- Tie bag, hang and let drip over sink until "whey is all".
- Serve with either sweet or sour cream and season to taste.