Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Posted in response to a recipe request courtesy of www.herbcompanion.com. The time to drain the juice is not included in the preparation time.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chokecherries
- 3 cups water
- Begin by removing stems and washing your chokecherries.
- Combine the chokecherries and water in a large kettle.
- Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Let the cherries cool; then pour them into an old, clean T-shirt or pillowcase set in a large bowl or pan. (This apparatus may then be suspended over the pan for several hours to allow as much of the juice as possible to drip out. It’s ok to help the process along by squeezing the T-shirt or pillowcase. The remains (pits and pulp) can then be thrown away.)
- One pound of berries will yield approximately 1 cup of juice.
I didn't have a clue on how to start and this was great information. I ended up getting 2 batches of jelly from the juice. Love the flavor. Going to make more tomorrow for syrup.